emacs via putty & keystrokes
Bill Gradwohl
2004-10-17 15:12:43 UTC
If I run emacs on a FC2 box via the console or thru X, everything is fine.

If I ssh into that box from a Windows Putty session and run emacs, the
backspace and end keys don't function as expected. I assume this is in
the ssh session somewhere, but where?

Possibly related is another annoyance. As an example, man find run from
the console or X is fine. Run from the Putty session, the first line of
the second paragraph in the DESCRIPTION section shows strange characters:
The first argument that begins with ?-?, ?(?, ?)?, ?,?, or ?!? is taken
I don't know what email will show the above to look like after I send
it, but instead of single quotes, I get the letter a with an umlaut over it.

Thank you to anyone that can shed some light on this.
--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com
SPAMstomper Protected email
James Wilkinson
2004-10-18 12:33:44 UTC
Post by Bill Gradwohl
If I ssh into that box from a Windows Putty session and run emacs, the
backspace and end keys don't function as expected. I assume this is in
the ssh session somewhere, but where?
Works for me. Play with the Terminal -> Keyboard window in Putty
configuration.

$ echo $TERM
does return linux, doesn't it?

Which emacs are you using: GNU or Xemacs?

Are you using X tunnelling, or are you running emacs in text mode?
Post by Bill Gradwohl
Possibly related is another annoyance. As an example, man find run from
the console or X is fine. Run from the Putty session, the first line of
The first argument that begins with ?-?, ?(?, ?)?, ?,?, or
?!? is taken
I don't know what email will show the above to look like after I send
it, but instead of single quotes, I get the letter a with an umlaut over it.
Works for me, too.

This shouldn't afect anything, but Window -> Translation: Received
data... is set to UTF-8, isn't it?

Which font are you using? I find Courier New good.

At a guess, I'd say that the terminal emulation is screwed up somewhere.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "But alas, we don't need a car, so I have a bus
@westexe.demon.co.uk | timetable and one day the buses will read it too."
Bill Gradwohl
2004-10-18 13:48:18 UTC
Play with the Terminal -> Keyboard window in Putty configuration.
$ echo $TERM
does return linux, doesn't it?
Which emacs are you using: GNU or Xemacs?
Are you using X tunnelling, or are you running emacs in text mode?
This shouldn't afect anything, but Window -> Translation: Received
data... is set to UTF-8, isn't it?
Which font are you using? I find Courier New good.
"It aint what you don't know that'll hurt ya, it's what you "know" that
aint so." -- Will Rogers

I thought I had the proper settings, but actually I didn't.

I set
UTF-8 in translation
Control-H for backspace
Linux for function keys and keypad
Courier, 10-point for font
in the main Putty panel and mistakenly assumed those were universal
settings. Once I set them for a particular profile (now that I know
where I made the mistake), things got better, but still not perfect.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction James.

I'm using GNU emacs on FC2 from a W2K box via Putty without an X tunnel.

An echo $TERM always returns xterm regardless of the Putty settings.
That's probably what's broken.

Backspace now works. The end key still doesn't work. I forgot to mention
that hitting the home key brings up a search box too. I tried both the
"standard" and "rxvt" settings in Putty for the Home and End keys but
neither one works as expected.

I think I'll get a later Putty client and see what happens.
--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com
SPAMstomper Protected email
James Wilkinson
2004-10-18 16:40:34 UTC
Post by Bill Gradwohl
I set
UTF-8 in translation
Control-H for backspace
Linux for function keys and keypad
Courier, 10-point for font
in the main Putty panel and mistakenly assumed those were universal
settings. Once I set them for a particular profile (now that I know
where I made the mistake), things got better, but still not perfect.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction James.
I'm using GNU emacs on FC2 from a W2K box via Putty without an X tunnel.
An echo $TERM always returns xterm regardless of the Putty settings.
That's probably what's broken.
Sorry. You've just fired a neuron. PuTTY just passes what's in the
Connection configuration window's "Terminal-type string" setting, and
that gets set up as $TERM.

By default it's xterm. I find that setting this to linux works better.
You may or may not find this.

(There's talk of a PuTTY-specific terminfo:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/terminfo.html
)

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
@westexe.demon.co.uk | transformation into the Infallible Hulk."
Bill Gradwohl
2004-10-18 17:12:45 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson
By default it's xterm. I find that setting this to linux works better.
You may or may not find this.
That fixed it. Thanks so much.
--
Bill Gradwohl