Package manager Error - FC5
AdabalaP
2006-03-23 15:48:19 UTC
Hello there,

When i try to a perform "Add/Remove Software" on my new FC5 install with
GNOME as the window manager i get the following error:

Unable to retrieve software information

Am i missing any RPMS ?

Thanks.
AdabalaP
2006-03-23 22:43:35 UTC
Its "pirut-1.0.1-1" error, Any fixs/workaround for it ?

AdabalaP at schneide
r.com
Sent by: To
fedora-list-bounc fedora-list at redhat.com
es at redhat.com cc

Subject
03/23/2006 09:48 Package manager Error - FC5
AM

Please respond to
For users of
Fedora Core
releases
<fedora-list at redh
at.com>

Hello there,

When i try to a perform "Add/Remove Software" on my new FC5 install with
GNOME as the window manager i get the following error:

Unable to retrieve software information

Am i missing any RPMS ?

Thanks.
Dan
This usually happens if pirut cannot contact the repositories online. I
only had this problem when I added a repo that didn't have an FC5 repo
yet, so it couldn't find it.
-Dan
Dan
-Dan
Jim Cornette
2006-03-24 02:23:09 UTC
Post by AdabalaP
Hello there,
When i try to a perform "Add/Remove Software" on my new FC5 install with
Unable to retrieve software information
Am i missing any RPMS ?
Thanks.
You can see if the software updater is complete by opening up a terminal
and verifying pirut using rpm -qaV.

Mostly though, the problem is due to repos not being reachable for the
program to operate. The program relies on access to the same repos that
yum and the software updater use. Getting updates from the CDs or DVD do
not work right now. The problem should be fixed soon in an update for
FC5. (not sure of when)

Jim
--
"As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a
thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something."
-- Hagar the Horrible
antonio montagnani
Try to update by yum update and then try again. Are you trying to use
Package updater immediately after installation from CD's???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag
AdabalaP
2006-03-24 21:57:08 UTC
Yes, I am trying to use the "Add/Remove Software" immediately after FC5
install. I actually want to install additional software from the CD.

Thank you.

"antonio
montagnani"
<antonio.montagna To
ni at gmail.com> "For users of Fedora Core releases"
Sent by: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
fedora-list-bounc cc
es at redhat.com
Subject
Re: Package manager Error - FC5
03/24/2006 09:41
AM

Please respond to
For users of
Fedora Core
releases
<fedora-list at redh
at.com>

Skype : antoniomontag
Jim Cornette
2006-03-25 03:24:55 UTC
Post by AdabalaP
Yes, I am trying to use the "Add/Remove Software" immediately after FC5
install. I actually want to install additional software from the CD.
Thank you.
The program does not handle installing from the CD yet. It is based on
yum nd yum is designed to use repositories that are Internet bound in
most cases, unless you created local repositories.

Depending on your familiarity with yum, creating repositories locally,
you might need to become familiar with how to set up a local repo if you
have no Internet connection you can use.

Jim
Paul Howarth
2006-03-25 15:23:15 UTC
Post by Jim Cornette
Post by AdabalaP
Yes, I am trying to use the "Add/Remove Software" immediately after FC5
install. I actually want to install additional software from the CD.
Thank you.
The program does not handle installing from the CD yet. It is based on
yum nd yum is designed to use repositories that are Internet bound in
most cases, unless you created local repositories.
Depending on your familiarity with yum, creating repositories locally,
you might need to become familiar with how to set up a local repo if you
have no Internet connection you can use.
Here's a quick HOWTO:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages

This will pull packages from your local repo if they are the latest
ones, but if there are later ones in the updates-released repo, it'll
get those instead (from the Internet).

Paul.
Paul Howarth

Jim Cornette