Advice please Java / php / html
Chadley Wilson
2004-03-29 19:15:47 UTC
Hello ppl.

I am busy building a website for our production line,
I know a bit of html nut there are things that need doing that I cant
work out in html. I know I am being very vague here but I was wondering
what would be easier to learn online, and could some one point me in the
right direction to some sites that could teach me please?

thanks
--
Chadley - Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.
Peter Eddy
2004-03-29 19:25:16 UTC
I've found http://www.w3schools.com/ to be pretty handy.

Peter
Chadley Wilson
Chadley Wilson
Richard Welty
2004-03-29 20:32:16 UTC
Post by Chadley Wilson
I am busy building a website for our production line,
I know a bit of html nut there are things that need doing that I cant
work out in html. I know I am being very vague here but I was wondering
what would be easier to learn online, and could some one point me in the
right direction to some sites that could teach me please?
for all its weaknesses, PHP will probably get you where you want to
go fastest.

well architected java systems will scale better, but for most simple apps,
java is overkill.

the PHP book i started with, _Core PHP_, is actually not a very good
book and i'd not buy it again. _PHP_ from Hungry minds is at some
level a silly book, but it actually might get you going pretty quickly,
even while you whine about how silly it is.

richard
Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592
Dave Cross
2004-03-30 09:03:32 UTC
Post by Chadley Wilson
Hello ppl.
I am busy building a website for our production line,
I know a bit of html nut there are things that need doing that I
cant work out in html. I know I am being very vague here but I
was wondering what would be easier to learn online, and could
some one point me in the right direction to some sites that could
teach me please?
I'd recommend a combination of Perl and the Template Toolkit. But
then I'm a little biased.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perltt/

Dave...
--
New .sigs
Running in please parse
Adam Cooper
2004-03-30 09:16:37 UTC
if you've got any kind of OO programming experience i.e. C++, Java,
Smalltalk, then you might want to consider the Java/Servlet/JSP route.
However if you haven't then PHP is a doddle to get into and relatively
easy to produce good results with.

Adam
Richard Welty
2004-04-01 20:19:49 UTC
Post by Adam Cooper
if you've got any kind of OO programming experience i.e. C++, Java,
Smalltalk, then you might want to consider the Java/Servlet/JSP route.
However if you haven't then PHP is a doddle to get into and relatively
easy to produce good results with.
working my way through email that piled up while i was busy earlier
this week...

i agree, more-or-less, but i think this should be expanded upon, as
there are a lot of issues.

php is a flawed language in many regards, but you get used to it
quickly and it's possible to write working code in a hurry. it shares
some defects with most any of the traditional script/cgi style
approaches, which is that it has poor scaling properties and it's
incredibly easy to write large quantities of bad code without
realizing it. perl along with pure jsp/asp solutions all can end up
in this place -- unscalable, badly organized code.

java can be done equally badly, but the tools exist in java (ejb,
struts, servlets, etc) to facilitate very good, very scalable code.
the downside is that java is a pain for small projects. prototyping
something quickly in java is much, much harder than doing it
in php.

what i tend to do is prototype in php, but i code in a javaesque
style, using php objects that are analogous to the objects i
might use in java. i generally hide my database tables behind
php objects, to provide a measure of abstraction and isolation.
the goal is to produce 1) cleaner code and 2) a template that
can be useful if you hit the scaling wall with php and need to
go to a java version.

richard
Richard Welty

Adam Cooper