Apple wireless BT keyboard: how to enable those special keys?
Jurgen Kramer
2006-07-30 17:56:00 UTC
The Apple bluetooth keyboard works just beautifully with Fedora and the
hidd daemon. Most keys work but unfortunately some of the special keys
don't even seem to emit a key code (tested with xev).

The keys F13-F16 and Volume up, Volume down, mute and eject do not work.
I modified the XkbModel in xorg.conf to "power_g5" and tried xmodmap as
suggested on the net but no go.

Any idea how can I enable those extra keys?

Thanks,
Jurgen
Marko Vojinovic
2006-07-30 21:04:49 UTC
Post by Jurgen Kramer
The Apple bluetooth keyboard works just beautifully with Fedora and the
hidd daemon. Most keys work but unfortunately some of the special keys
don't even seem to emit a key code (tested with xev).
I don't know if xev tests the keyboard correctly, but my recommendation is
showkey. First, exit X (i guess you should do a 'telinit 3'...), login to a
terminal, and type 'showkey -s'.

Afer that, any key you press (or release) on the keyboard should be
identified, as seen by the kernel. If your keys do not work here, they are
not seen by the kernel, and there might be problems enabling them.
If they work, what you see are their scancodes.

The program ends itself automatically ten seconds after the last keyrelease,
and gives you back the control of the keyboard... :-)

Then start 'showkey', without any options. Test again. If the keys work, each
key is assigned the keycode, printed on the screen. If not, then the key is
not assigned the keycode, and you need to configure it.
Post by Jurgen Kramer
Any idea how can I enable those extra keys?
I recommend reading the docs, namely:

man showkey, man setkeycodes, man keymaps, man loadkeys, man dumpkeys,
etc. :-)

How to enable them in X is another story, and how to assign to them functions
such as "open xmms, start playing the song, turn off shuffle, and feed my pet
dog" is yet another story. ;-)

Best regards, :-)
Marko
Jurgen Kramer
2006-07-31 16:49:46 UTC
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Post by Jurgen Kramer
The Apple bluetooth keyboard works just beautifully with Fedora and the
hidd daemon. Most keys work but unfortunately some of the special keys
don't even seem to emit a key code (tested with xev).
I don't know if xev tests the keyboard correctly, but my recommendation is
showkey. First, exit X (i guess you should do a 'telinit 3'...), login to a
terminal, and type 'showkey -s'.
Thanks, I forgot about showkey.
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Afer that, any key you press (or release) on the keyboard should be
identified, as seen by the kernel. If your keys do not work here, they are
not seen by the kernel, and there might be problems enabling them.
If they work, what you see are their scancodes.
The program ends itself automatically ten seconds after the last keyrelease,
and gives you back the control of the keyboard... :-)
Then start 'showkey', without any options. Test again. If the keys work, each
key is assigned the keycode, printed on the screen. If not, then the key is
not assigned the keycode, and you need to configure it.
Unfortunately the extra multimedia keys do not emit a keycode :(
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Post by Jurgen Kramer
Any idea how can I enable those extra keys?
man showkey, man setkeycodes, man keymaps, man loadkeys, man dumpkeys,
etc. :-)
Hmm, setkeycodes and friends only seem to work the the keys acctually
produce a keycode...
Post by Marko Vojinovic
How to enable them in X is another story, and how to assign to them functions
such as "open xmms, start playing the song, turn off shuffle, and feed my pet
dog" is yet another story. ;-)
Best regards, :-)
That is the easy part ;-)...back to the driver.

Thanks!
Marko
Marko Vojinovic
2006-07-31 20:20:38 UTC
Post by Jurgen Kramer
Unfortunately the extra multimedia keys do not emit a keycode :(
But do they emit a scancode? That one is important. If you can see the
scancode, you can use setkeycodes to tell the kernel to assign a keycode to
that scancode. After that, the key is well under control.

Have you tried 'showkey -s' or just 'showkey'?

Best regards, :-)
Marko
Jurgen Kramer
2006-08-01 16:35:08 UTC
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Post by Jurgen Kramer
Unfortunately the extra multimedia keys do not emit a keycode :(
But do they emit a scancode? That one is important. If you can see the
scancode, you can use setkeycodes to tell the kernel to assign a keycode to
that scancode. After that, the key is well under control.
Have you tried 'showkey -s' or just 'showkey'?
Yep, I tried both. 'showkey -s' does not show a scancode for F13-F16 and
the multimedia keys :( I tried modifying the hidd driver but that did
not get me much further.
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Best regards, :-)
Marko
Thanks,
Jurgen
Jurgen Kramer
2006-08-01 16:35:08 UTC
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Post by Jurgen Kramer
Unfortunately the extra multimedia keys do not emit a keycode :(
But do they emit a scancode? That one is important. If you can see the
scancode, you can use setkeycodes to tell the kernel to assign a keycode to
that scancode. After that, the key is well under control.
Have you tried 'showkey -s' or just 'showkey'?
Yep, I tried both. 'showkey -s' does not show a scancode for F13-F16 and
the multimedia keys :( I tried modifying the hidd driver but that did
not get me much further.
Post by Marko Vojinovic
Best regards, :-)
Marko