Thunderbird: Cannot send email but can read emails
Daniel B. Thurman
2008-05-30 19:03:58 UTC
I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
out email.

Please advise?

Thanks-
Dan
Nicolae Ghimbovschi
"Be the change you want to see in the world !" Mahatma Gandhi
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 19:23:13 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
out email.
You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the very least
you need to configure an SMTP server.

poc
Mikkel L. Ellertson
2008-05-30 19:33:12 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
out email.
Please advise?
Thanks-
Dan
Did you configure the outgoing mail server settings in Thunderbird?
Is it configured correctly for your ISP? If you are using another
outgoing mail server besides your ISPs, it can get complicated,
because a lot of ISPs block outgoing port 25 connections, so you
have to use the SSL option, if the mail server you are trying to
connect to supports it.

Mikkel

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
|
| You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| very least
| you need to configure an SMTP server.

I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
messages.

I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.

I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.

Any ideas?
Dan
Craig White
2008-05-30 19:44:43 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
|
| You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| very least
| you need to configure an SMTP server.
I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
messages.
I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
----
sounds like you have some relay restrictions on your smtp server...what
is it? Sendmail? Postfix?

Craig
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 19:52:11 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
|
| You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| very least
| you need to configure an SMTP server.
I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
messages.
IMAP and SMTP are completely and utterly independant of each other. Just
because you have IMAP set up to read mail, and maybe to post in local
mailboxes, means absolutely nothing to SMTP. You have to set it up
separately.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
Then it should be easy. Just copy the SMTP settings from Outlook. OTOH
if Outlook is using an Exchange server then I'm afraid can't help you.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
What do you mean "refused"? Is this a pop-up message on your screen, a
returned error email, or what? Is there no indication of why it's
refused? Is it refused by your local server or by a remote server? Are
you using a fully-qualified domain name for the destination or some kind
of local alias?

poc
2008-05-30 22:58:24 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
messages.
then you should set up using 2 accounts, inside and outside
accounts and smtps,

you can use your filters to direct your incoming mail.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
you have your setup with default as inside account. you need to
setup outside smtp also.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
Any ideas?
rtfm comes to mind.

perseverance helps.
--
yes. i am using mozilla thunderbird. and it feels good. ;o)

tc,hago.

.

Craig White
2008-05-30 19:44:43 UTC

Craig
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 19:52:11 UTC

poc
2008-05-30 22:58:24 UTC

Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
you have your setup with default as inside account. you need to
setup outside smtp also.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
Any ideas?
rtfm comes to mind.

perseverance helps.

Craig White
2008-05-30 19:34:49 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
out email.
Please advise?
----
Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP

Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'

By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on sending...this can be a
problem with some setups.

Craig
Daniel B. Thurman
2008-05-30 20:00:10 UTC
Craig White wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
| > |
| > | You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| > | very least
| > | you need to configure an SMTP server.
| >
| > I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
| > so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
| > I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
| > messages.
| >
| > I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
| > via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
| >
| > I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
| > outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
| > appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
| > Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
| ----
| sounds like you have some relay restrictions on your smtp
| server...what is it? Sendmail? Postfix?

My main server is Exchange. You do have a point there, that
I may have relay restrictions for outbound deliveries but
local deliveries work. Ah, I'll have to check this out.

Thanks!
Dan
Daniel B. Thurman
2008-05-30 20:08:34 UTC
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
| > |
| > | You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| > | very least
| > | you need to configure an SMTP server.
| >
| > I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
| > so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
| > I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
| > messages.
|
| IMAP and SMTP are completely and utterly independant of each
| other. Just
| because you have IMAP set up to read mail, and maybe to post in local
| mailboxes, means absolutely nothing to SMTP. You have to set it up
| separately.

Understood. I was not exactly clear if by using an IMAP client,
that messages delivered via IMAP acts as if the message was sent
directly via the SMTP server as an authorized user, no different
that using an Outlook client - but that may be a wrong assumption
so it seems.

| > I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
| > via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
|
| Then it should be easy. Just copy the SMTP settings from Outlook. OTOH
| if Outlook is using an Exchange server then I'm afraid can't help you.

Yes, that may be the case. Outlook (not Outlook Express) is connected
to the Exchange server from a windows workstation (or server) and it
probably already "knows" how to authenicate, thus allows remote delivery
(in other words, it was not a relay issue.

| > I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
| > outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
| > appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
| > Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
|
| What do you mean "refused"? Is this a pop-up message on your screen,
| a returned error email, or what? Is there no indication of why it's
| refused? Is it refused by your local server or by a remote server? Are
| you using a fully-qualified domain name for the destination
| or some kind of local alias?

By refused, I mean there is no indication that there was a delivery
failure, no pop-ups, nothing. It was totally transparent. It wasn't
until I realized that my outbound message to Fedora-User never
got there.

Thanks!
Dan
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 21:53:57 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
> [...]
| > |
| > | You could start by explaining what you've tried to do. At the
| > | very least
| > | you need to configure an SMTP server.
| >
| > I have the F8-Thunderbird account IMAPed to my SMTP server,
| > so I can read/send local email messages to local users. But
| > I cannot send email Thurnerbird (IMAP) outbound non-local
| > messages.
|
| IMAP and SMTP are completely and utterly independant of each
| other. Just
| because you have IMAP set up to read mail, and maybe to post in local
| mailboxes, means absolutely nothing to SMTP. You have to set it up
| separately.
Understood. I was not exactly clear if by using an IMAP client,
that messages delivered via IMAP acts as if the message was sent
directly via the SMTP server as an authorized user, no different
that using an Outlook client - but that may be a wrong assumption
so it seems.
?Definitely wrong. TB along with other IMAP clients can deposit a
message in a shared or public folder on the IMAP server, but that's a
totally different proposition from *sending* a message, for which SMTP
is essential.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I can use windoes outlook to send/receive local/remote emails
| > via the same SMTP server from which this message was sent.
|
| Then it should be easy. Just copy the SMTP settings from Outlook. OTOH
| if Outlook is using an Exchange server then I'm afraid can't help you.
Yes, that may be the case. Outlook (not Outlook Express) is connected
to the Exchange server from a windows workstation (or server) and it
probably already "knows" how to authenicate, thus allows remote delivery
(in other words, it was not a relay issue.
As I say, I can't comment on what wierdness Exchange may be up to.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I am trying to figure out why via F8->Thunderbird remote
| > outbound email messages are "refused" (Thunderbird give the
| > appearance of no errors) - I tried to send a message to
| > Fedora-Users but was unable to do so.
|
| What do you mean "refused"? Is this a pop-up message on your screen,
| a returned error email, or what? Is there no indication of why it's
| refused? Is it refused by your local server or by a remote server? Are
| you using a fully-qualified domain name for the destination
| or some kind of local alias?
By refused, I mean there is no indication that there was a delivery
failure, no pop-ups, nothing. It was totally transparent. It wasn't
until I realized that my outbound message to Fedora-User never
got there.
So "refused" means "didn't arrive (yet)". That's another story. Your
message might have been queued for some reason, or dropped in transit.
If you have no feedback, you don't know what happened.

poc
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 21:53:57 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
> [...]
| > |

poc
2008-05-30 21:27:51 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
out email.
Please advise?
click 'help' on menu bar, then click 'mozilla thunderbird help' to
log you on to
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/

you will find very good instructions for setting up tbird.

from reply post and your answers, you twisted send and receive, or
never set up send correct in start.

questions yet asked,

how are you connecting to isp mail server, direct, proxiy, local
network server, single user host?

who and how, if isp, are they set up to receive? ie, mail.bellsouth.net,
pop.bellsouth.net, smtp.bellsouth.net.

later.

--

tc,hago.

.

yes. i am using mozilla thunderbird.

.
Daniel B. Thurman
2008-05-30 21:47:12 UTC
Craig White wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
| >
| > Please advise?
| ----
| Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP
|
| Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'
|
| By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on
| sending...this can be a
| problem with some setups.

What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
"Security Settings" section there where authenication
can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
"None", "TLS, if available", ...

What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
the username and password in this single field? What is
the delimiter? A space between the two?

I have configured my Exchange server to allow all local
only relays, and I even see the log entries identifying
connections, and there appears in it, no errors as to
failed deliveries. It seems very transparent.

I have no clue where the problem is, I get no returned
failed delivery return messages. It is very transparent,
or so it seems.

I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.

I remembered why I abandoned Thunderbird and it was
because I could not figure out how to make outbound
non-local deliveries.

Sigh.... it is going to be a long day.

Dan
Patrick O'Callaghan
2008-05-30 21:58:01 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
| >
| > Please advise?
| ----
| Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP
|
| Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'
|
| By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on
| sending...this can be a
| problem with some setups.
What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
"Security Settings" section there where authenication
can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
"None", "TLS, if available", ...
What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
the username and password in this single field? What is
the delimiter? A space between the two?
Enter the username only. The first time you send a message you will be
asked for the password, with an option to store it locally IIRC.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I have configured my Exchange server to allow all local
only relays, and I even see the log entries identifying
connections, and there appears in it, no errors as to
failed deliveries. It seems very transparent.
I have no clue where the problem is, I get no returned
failed delivery return messages. It is very transparent,
or so it seems.
I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.
You could but it's probably going to be harder to configure. An easier
alternative is to do SMTP directly to your ISP's server and bypass
Exchange, assuming there isn't an internal firewall preventing you from
doing that.

poc
Craig White
2008-05-30 22:01:58 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
| >
| > Please advise?
| ----
| Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP
|
| Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'
|
| By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on
| sending...this can be a
| problem with some setups.
What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
"Security Settings" section there where authenication
can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
"None", "TLS, if available", ...
What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
the username and password in this single field? What is
the delimiter? A space between the two?
I have configured my Exchange server to allow all local
only relays, and I even see the log entries identifying
connections, and there appears in it, no errors as to
failed deliveries. It seems very transparent.
I have no clue where the problem is, I get no returned
failed delivery return messages. It is very transparent,
or so it seems.
I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.
I remembered why I abandoned Thunderbird and it was
because I could not figure out how to make outbound
non-local deliveries.
Sigh.... it is going to be a long day.
----
if you are going to run Exchange server, it would seem reasonable to
know how to configure it to handle mail relaying properly for so many
reasons.

You're problem isn't Thunderbird...it's your configuration of Exchange
server.

here's a Windows list that can probably help you with configuration of
Exchange server...

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/winnt-l.html

Craig
2008-05-30 22:21:12 UTC
Post by Craig White
You're problem isn't Thunderbird...it's your configuration of Exchange
server.
as you say, i believe his main problem is ms server. but he also has tbird
problems that could be addressed by knowing what all he changed.

tbird could have worked if set up no proxy, standard pop, with smtp up.
then he would have had to just enter pop and smtp addresses.

2008-05-30 22:01:59 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
"Security Settings" section there where authenication
can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
"None", "TLS, if available", ...
again, if you do not understand what it is, online help should
explain, if not, then ask. you will learn more about what you are
trying to do.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
the username and password in this single field? What is
the delimiter? A space between the two?
only enter 'user name'. you will be asked for password later in sending.
if you have 'remember name/password' enabled, set master password
and not worry about it each time later.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.
clearing up present system problems would be better in long run. then
you are not faced with additional interfacing of 2 programs.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I remembered why I abandoned Thunderbird and it was
because I could not figure out how to make outbound
non-local deliveries.
it is easy, you just click somewhere that you should not have, or you
set up outbound wrong.

if you follow mozilla's procedure, or at least read it, you should find what
step you took wrong.

if what you have done has not been experienced and corrected by another,
it may be difficult to trouble shoot. it would be nice if you could press a
button and all return to default.

good luck.

.
Kevin J. Cummings
2008-05-30 22:04:09 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
| > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
| > out email.
| >
| > Please advise?
| ----
| Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP
|
| Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'
|
| By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on
| sending...this can be a
| problem with some setups.
What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
"Security Settings" section there where authenication
can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
"None", "TLS, if available", ...
What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
the username and password in this single field? What is
the delimiter? A space between the two?
Enter just your user name in this field. The passowrd gets prompted for
when it is needed, and it gives you the option to remember it as well.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I have configured my Exchange server to allow all local
only relays, and I even see the log entries identifying
connections, and there appears in it, no errors as to
failed deliveries. It seems very transparent.
I have no clue where the problem is, I get no returned
failed delivery return messages. It is very transparent,
or so it seems.
I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.
IMAP is an incoming server protocol only. Its for reading email, not
sending it. Thunderbird is trying to configure an outgoing server for
you to use should you wish to reply to an email in your IMAP mailboxes.
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
I remembered why I abandoned Thunderbird and it was
because I could not figure out how to make outbound
non-local deliveries.
Strange, I've been using Thunderbird (and Mozilla Email before that) for
at least 10 years now. The biggest problem configuring your SMTP is
allowing it to accept email from non-local systems (by default, sendmail
only accepts email from local hosts on Fedora systems). This is a
separate problem from configuring Thunderbird, as that is a problem with
sendmail, not Thunderbird. So, if you are running an email server on a
different system than you are running Thunderbird on, it gets complicated.

The last time I configured my Thunderbird, at work, for outgoing email,
I had to connect directly to the company's outgoing SMTP server for
outgoing emails. We also had to beg the IT folks to keep the
Exchange/IMAP port open for us to use (unsupported, of course) to be
able to read emails with something else besides Outlook.
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
cummings at kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Daniel B. Thurman
2008-05-30 23:55:37 UTC
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Wow. That was a chore. It turned out that it was the
exchange server - that I had to allow my local users
the right to relay messages via the Exchange Server.

That was part of the problem. I also had to fix my
DNS entries so that my email server IP address uses
local IP addresses rather than public ip addresses.

Thank you all for responding and giving me the clues
in finding my mistakes.

* This message is sent to by Thunderbird

Dan
2008-05-30 23:59:10 UTC
Post by Daniel B. Thurman
* This message is sent to by Thunderbird
i well know that feeling.

Daniel B. Thurman

Dan
Patrick O'Callaghan