FC3: problems with Sendmail
Fabiano Petrone
2005-08-16 14:48:40 UTC
hello,
I've a small LAN with a fedora core 3 (a machine called fedora3,
192.168.0.50, sendmail 8.13.1.2, dovecot
0.99.13-3) and a windows 2000 (a machine called zenone, 192.168.0.20)
I've not still configured DNS on fedora, but I've so edited /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.50 fedora3
192.168.0.20 zenone

I've made the same on windows and the 2 commands:

ping zenone
ping fedora3

works perfectly in both directions.

For the sendmail side, I've made the following changes on the /etc/mail files:

-added fedora3 on local-host-names
-dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl in
sendmail.mc

reloaded the daemon, the telnet fedora3 (and localhost) on port 25 & 110
(sendmail & dovecot) is OK but sendmail daemon is really slow starting.
giving the command

newaliases

from the shell sendmail tells me:

WARNING: local host name (fedora3) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

I've seen the README file (chapter WHO AM I?) but I've not understood good
the explication: what should I add to (I think) my sendmail.mc file?

thanks a lot in advance for your help,

fabiano
Alexander Dalloz
2005-08-16 14:54:02 UTC
Post by Fabiano Petrone
I've a small LAN with a fedora core 3 (a machine called fedora3,
192.168.0.50, sendmail 8.13.1.2, dovecot
0.99.13-3) and a windows 2000 (a machine called zenone, 192.168.0.20)
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.50 fedora3
That is no qualified entry.
Post by Fabiano Petrone
192.168.0.20 zenone
ping zenone
ping fedora3
works perfectly in both directions.
-added fedora3 on local-host-names
-dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl in
sendmail.mc
reloaded the daemon, the telnet fedora3 (and localhost) on port 25 & 110
(sendmail & dovecot) is OK but sendmail daemon is really slow starting.
giving the command
newaliases
WARNING: local host name (fedora3) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
I've seen the README file (chapter WHO AM I?) but I've not understood good
the explication: what should I add to (I think) my sendmail.mc file?
thanks a lot in advance for your help,
fabiano
You will have to setup your Fedora host on which Sendmail is running
with a FQDN (fully qualified domain name). For internal / home use it is
sufficient to have something like

192.168.0.50 fedora3.invalid fedora3

in your /etc/hosts file. No changes in sendmail.mc needed for that. You
can run

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d0.9 < /dev/null

to see what your Sendmail config says about itself.

Alexander
Serendipity 16:50:15 up 8 days, 2:39, load average: 0.37, 0.36, 0.34
Post by Alexander Dalloz
You will have to setup your Fedora host on which Sendmail is running
with a FQDN (fully qualified domain name). For internal / home use it
is sufficient to have something like
192.168.0.50 fedora3.invalid fedora3
Some things won't send to "invalid" domain names, it might be a problem
depending on what you're trying to do. There are other reserved domain
names for local or test use, too: "localhost" "test"

You could use localhost as a top level domain (separate to the sole
"localhost" used for 127.0.0.1), e.g. fedora3.localhost. Though some
things apparently don't handle that well. You might be best using the
"test" one. e.g. fedora3.test
I read messages from the public lists.
Fabiano Petrone
2005-08-19 06:56:47 UTC
Thanks a lot, Alexander and Tim, for your precious help!!! :=>

problem resolved!
I've tried to use the FQDN fedora3.home (home is also the Samba workgroup
for the 2 machines)
and apparently all works well...in case of problems I'll apply the Tim
suggestion renaming with .localhost or .test

thanks again,

Fabiano
Tim

Fabiano Petrone