remove unallocated partition
Patrick Dupre
2021-06-06 08:22:24 UTC
Hello,

On one disk, I have an extended partition (sdc4) starting at 41338880
Inside, I have a ext4 partition (sdc5) starting at 53919744 (see attached file)
In between the space is unallocated

How can I make that the partition sdc4 starts just at the beginning of sdc5

Thanks

Do not reply to spam on the list
Samuel Sieb
2021-06-06 15:23:06 UTC
Post by Patrick Dupre
On one disk, I have an extended partition (sdc4) starting at 41338880
Inside, I have a ext4 partition (sdc5) starting at 53919744 (see attached file)
In between the space is unallocated
How can I make that the partition sdc4 starts just at the beginning of sdc5
You can use gparted to move and resize the partition. If it's a
necessary partition that you can't unmount, you'll need to use a live
boot to do it.
Roberto Ragusa
2021-06-07 10:59:59 UTC
Post by Patrick Dupre
Hello,
On one disk, I have an extended partition (sdc4) starting at 41338880
Inside, I have a ext4 partition (sdc5) starting at 53919744 (see attached file)
In between the space is unallocated
How can I make that the partition sdc4 starts just at the beginning of sdc5
I see no attached file.

Why do you want to move the beginning of the extended partition sdc4, maybe to enlarge sdc3?

Since you are not really moving that, you should just destroy and recreate some of the
partitions (sdc4, sdc5 for sure, sdcx with x>=6 if you have them).
If you do it manually, you have to be careful and don't mess things up.
If you use some tool, you have to hope the tool doesn't mess things up.

Paste your fdisk -l output if you want.

Regards.
Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Do not reply to spam on the
Patrick Dupre
2021-06-07 11:39:16 UTC
Hello,

The way, I did:
with fdisk
deleted partition 5 and 4
created a new partition extended starting at the position of sdc5 by
removing 2048. And recreate sdc5 starting at the right position.
Every thing was fine !
Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Do not reply to spam on the list,
Roberto Ragusa
2021-06-07 16:09:52 UTC
Post by Patrick Dupre
Hello,
with fdisk
deleted partition 5 and 4
created a new partition extended starting at the position of sdc5 by
removing 2048. And recreate sdc5 starting at the right position.
Every thing was fine !
Yeah, that is what I was suggesting, but you have to be very careful with
the block numbers (especially with the extended partition).

And, for all the developers reading, this kind of operations is exactly
why you should never think about doing a trim/discard to the block device
when deleting a partition (I remember somebody proposing that,
unsuccessfully).

Regards.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it