SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
Jose Luis Núñez Crespi
2004-02-21 18:31:22 UTC
Hi

I have moved from red hat 9 to Fedora Yarrow yesterday.

After the installation was made, i re-start the system but altouhgt the
gdm starts ok, the gnome didn't.

I opened the window manger on fault tolerance mode, and after writing
the gnome-wm command i got the following error:

"Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session
manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER
environment variable not defined"

It dosen't happen with KDE, which is starting with the SESSION_MANAGER
variable set correctly.

Thanks in advance

Jose Luis Nu?ez
Registered as user #72907
with the Linux Counter
James Drabb
2004-02-22 05:14:18 UTC
Post by Jose Luis Núñez Crespi
Hi
I have moved from red hat 9 to Fedora Yarrow yesterday.
After the installation was made, i re-start the system but altouhgt the
gdm starts ok, the gnome didn't.
I opened the window manger on fault tolerance mode, and after writing
run gnome-session instead of gnome-wm. gnome-session will start up
everything for you.
Post by Jose Luis Núñez Crespi
Jose Luis Nu?ez
Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA
Jose Luis Núñez Crespi
2004-02-23 21:03:43 UTC
Hi

Of course i run gnome-session, and i could see how it tried to set a
session, but as i have read in a post for a Compaq Laptop, this value
must to be set in the environment to stat the window manager.

I tried to do it by myself, in the command line, but it didn't work,
maybe i didn't do it in the right way.

Thx for the hint but it hes been tried by me as the second option.

Anuy other clue, e-paper, e-doc in which read for looking for a
solution?

JL
Davenport, FL USA
Jose Luis Núñez Crespi