Font Issue.....
Eddie O'Connor
2021-05-23 08:22:05 UTC
Greetings my fellow Fedorans! I have a question / puzzle that I can't seem
to fix. Ok soooo

I am using
a Lenovo ThinkCenter M-83 / 32GB RAM / 500GB SSD
Installed a fresh copy of Fedora 34 on it and the install and initial setup
went without a hitch. I have failing eyes, and I prefer certain fonts when
I use the various apps and programs, to help my vision. I have opened the
Terminal and have tried to change the font to something, ANYTHING
"bold"?....but there's no bold fonts options. there's the Sans and
Monospace, but no Monospace "Bold". I've tried installing the font, but
even though it appears as an option with Gnome Tweaks?...and I've set it
there?...when I open the Terminal it STILL doesn't have any bold options!!
I've even made sure to install the RPM Fusion repos in the hopes that
they're in there, but nothing. Is there something that I need to do to get
the Monospace Bold Font back? I know its there in F33 (on my Dell XPS
running Fedora 33) so what happened?...is there no longer a way to get that
font?..or am I just losing brain cells? Did I miss something? Any help
would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all in advance!!

Cheers!

EGO II
Matthew Miller
2021-05-23 21:42:47 UTC
Post by Eddie O'Connor
I use the various apps and programs, to help my vision. I have opened the
Terminal and have tried to change the font to something, ANYTHING
"bold"?....but there's no bold fonts options. there's the Sans and
Monospace, but no Monospace "Bold". I've tried installing the font, but
even though it appears as an option with Gnome Tweaks?...and I've set it
The GUI in terminal looks like it just shows the regular version of
monospace fonts as options. That's probably the right thing in most
circumstances. However, I looked with dconf, the GNOME configuration editor
GUI, and found in org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.profiles and then down in the
actual profile a "font" setting which says "A Pango font name and size", and
you can just edit that to something like JetBrains Mono Bold 15" or whatever
and that seems to work just fine.
Post by Eddie O'Connor
there?...when I open the Terminal it STILL doesn't have any bold options!!
I've even made sure to install the RPM Fusion repos in the hopes that
they're in there, but nothing. Is there something that I need to do to get
the Monospace Bold Font back? I know its there in F33 (on my Dell XPS
running Fedora 33) so what happened?...is there no longer a way to get that
font?..or am I just losing brain cells? Did I miss something? Any help
would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all in advance!!
Cheers!
EGO II
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Matthew Miller
<***@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora Project Leader
Ed Greshko
2021-05-23 23:33:13 UTC
Post by Matthew Miller
Post by Eddie O'Connor
I use the various apps and programs, to help my vision. I have opened the
Terminal and have tried to change the font to something, ANYTHING
"bold"?....but there's no bold fonts options. there's the Sans and
Monospace, but no Monospace "Bold". I've tried installing the font, but
even though it appears as an option with Gnome Tweaks?...and I've set it
The GUI in terminal looks like it just shows the regular version of
monospace fonts as options. That's probably the right thing in most
circumstances. However, I looked with dconf, the GNOME configuration editor
GUI, and found in org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.profiles and then down in the
actual profile a "font" setting which says "A Pango font name and size", and
you can just edit that to something like JetBrains Mono Bold 15" or whatever
and that seems to work just fine.
Well, I'm not a regular GNOME user.  But I followed this procedure.

https://hev.cc/3017.html

In this way....

[***@f34g ~]$ dconf dump /org/gnome/terminal/legacy/[profiles:/:b1dcc9dd-5262-4d8d-a863-c897e6d979b9]
font='DejaVu Sans Mono 12'
use-system-font=false
visible-name='My Default'

[***@f34g ~]$ dconf write /org/gnome/terminal/legacy/profiles:/:b1dcc9dd-5262-4d8d-a863-c897e6d979b9/font "'Monospace Bold 20'"

And, while it "took", there was no "bold" text shown.  Meaning, there was no difference between

Monospace Bold 20
and
Monospace 20

FWIW, it would seem that the Bold selection was removed sometime after version 3.36.  My F32 VM has the ability and
I can see the difference if I perform the same functions on it.

gnome-terminal-3.36.1.1-1.fc32.x86_64

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.

Eddie O'Connor
2021-05-24 13:50:53 UTC
Thanks you guys!!....found the files mentioned (~Legacy.Profiles)....made
the changes as recommended, and now it works.

Interesting tho'.....that something like that would be "removed"....been
using Fedora for a long time, and it was always "just
there"...hopefully?...it will come back in future releases? I mean....I
know I'm nitpicking? but when you have to stare at Terminals all day, you'd
at LEAST want it to be "easy-to-read"! Right?

Cheers!

EGO II
Post by Matthew Miller
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure
Ed Greshko
2021-05-24 14:13:03 UTC
Thanks you guys!!....found the files mentioned (~Legacy.Profiles)....made the changes as recommended, and now it works.
That's interesting that you find it works for you.

What font did you pick?  I ask that since when I picked Monospace Bold there was no discernible difference between that
and just Monospace.
Post by Matthew Miller
Post by Eddie O'Connor
[...]
https://hev.cc/3017.html <https://hev.cc/3017.html>
In this way....
font='DejaVu Sans Mono 12'
use-system-font=false
visible-name='My Default'
Matthew Miller
2021-05-24 14:15:20 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Thanks you guys!!....found the files mentioned (~Legacy.Profiles)....made the changes as recommended, and now it works.
That's interesting that you find it works for you.
What font did you pick?  I ask that since when I picked Monospace Bold there was no discernible difference between that
and just Monospace.
It definitely works on Fedora 34 Workstation with JetBrains Mono and
JetBrains Mono Bold. I know because I tested it before posting.

--
Matthew Miller
<***@fedoraproject.org>
Ed Greshko
2021-05-24 14:51:57 UTC
Post by Matthew Miller
Post by Ed Greshko
Thanks you guys!!....found the files mentioned (~Legacy.Profiles)....made the changes as recommended, and now it works.
That's interesting that you find it works for you.
What font did you pick?  I ask that since when I picked Monospace Bold there was no discernible difference between that
and just Monospace.
It definitely works on Fedora 34 Workstation with JetBrains Mono and
JetBrains Mono Bold. I know because I tested it before posting.
Interesting.  Yes, that one works.  Although the bolding when picking size 20 seems rather slight.
But no difference with Monospace.

Of course there is one small issue.  If you're using a Bold font and a terminal based application which
then issues the bold esc sequence there will be no additional Bolding.

I wonder if that wasn't the reason it was decided to remove the easy ability select bold fonts.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.

Do not reply to spam on the list, report it: ht
Matthew Miller
2021-05-24 15:05:23 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Interesting.  Yes, that one works.  Although the bolding when picking size 20 seems rather slight.
But no difference with Monospace.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.
Post by Ed Greshko
Of course there is one small issue.  If you're using a Bold font and a terminal based application which
then issues the bold esc sequence there will be no additional Bolding.
I wonder if that wasn't the reason it was decided to remove the easy ability select bold fonts.
This makes sense to me. It's nice that there's an option to configure it for
someone who really wants it, but making everything bold isn't really the
right approach to the problem in general as it's "abusing" font weight for a
purpose other than what it was intended for.

--
Matthew Miller
<***@fedoraproject.org>
George N. White III
2021-05-24 15:17:14 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Interesting. Yes, that one works. Although the bolding when picking
size 20 seems rather slight.
But no difference with Monospace.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.
Of course there is one small issue. If you're using a Bold font and a
terminal based application which
then issues the bold esc sequence there will be no additional Bolding.
I wonder if that wasn't the reason it was decided to remove the easy
ability select bold fonts.
This makes sense to me. It's nice that there's an option to configure it for
someone who really wants it, but making everything bold isn't really the
right approach to the problem in general as it's "abusing" font weight for a
purpose other than what it was intended for.
A purpose that is a holdover from printed material and not well-suited to
color
screens. I suspect there is really a narrow range of weight that optimizes
readability, so we need other cues to replace bold, italic, etc.
George N. White III
Mike Wright
2021-05-24 15:25:20 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Of course there is one small issue.  If you're using a Bold font and a terminal based application which
then issues the bold esc sequence there will be no additional Bolding.
I wonder if that wasn't the reason it was decided to remove the easy ability select bold fonts.
This makes sense to me. It's nice that there's an option to configure it for
someone who really wants it, but making everything bold isn't really the
right approach to the problem in general as it's "abusing" font weight for a
purpose other than what it was intended for.
Is there a way to use font color to represent bolding?
George N. White III
2021-05-24 18:28:51 UTC
Post by Mike Wright
Is there a way to use font color to represent bolding?
Bold fonts are used for emphasis. Since color is almost universally
available, there are
lots of options to change colors (foreground and/or background), but
without conventions
we can't know what a particular color means without rtfm. Choosing colors
is not
simple as you need to accommodate various forms of color-blindness.
Text-to-speech
systems would have to be rewritten to detect color changes. Some of the
technical
problems could be handled by relying on underlying semantic markup and
treating
terminals and text-to-speech as different rendering systems.

George N. White III
Joe Zeff
2021-05-24 20:52:23 UTC
Bold  fonts are used for emphasis. Since color is almost universally
available, there are
lots of options to change colors (foreground and/or background), but
without conventions
we can't know what a particular color means without rtfm.
And that's the main reason why I hate having the colors active by
default in ls and use alias to get rid of it. I've never seen a list of
the colors and their meanings, so for me it's utterly useless.
Do not reply to spam on the list, report
Ed Greshko
2021-05-24 21:28:10 UTC
Bold  fonts are used for emphasis. Since color is almost universally available, there are
lots of options to change colors (foreground and/or background), but without conventions
we can't know what a particular color means without rtfm.
And that's the main reason why I hate having the colors active by default in ls and use alias to get rid of it.  I've never seen a list of the colors and their meanings, so for me it's utterly useless.
man dir_colors

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.
Joe Zeff
2021-05-24 21:39:07 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Post by Joe Zeff
Bold  fonts are used for emphasis. Since color is almost universally
available, there are
lots of options to change colors (foreground and/or background), but
without conventions
we can't know what a particular color means without rtfm.
And that's the main reason why I hate having the colors active by
default in ls and use alias to get rid of it.  I've never seen a list
of the colors and their meanings, so for me it's utterly useless.
man dir_colors
I take it then, that you've never looked at the file because all of the
colors are given in hex, even though the colors all have defined names.
Unless you're big into computer graphics, its still utterly useless.
Do not reply to spam on the li
Ed Greshko
2021-05-24 21:48:23 UTC
Post by Ed Greshko
Bold  fonts are used for emphasis. Since color is almost universally available, there are
lots of options to change colors (foreground and/or background), but without conventions
we can't know what a particular color means without rtfm.
And that's the main reason why I hate having the colors active by default in ls and use alias to get rid of it.  I've never seen a list of the colors and their meanings, so for me it's utterly useless.
man dir_colors
I take it then, that you've never looked at the file because all of the colors are given in hex, even though the colors all have defined names.  Unless you're big into computer graphics, its still utterly useless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code

There is a nice chart for you.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.
Tim via users
2021-05-24 22:35:24 UTC
Post by Mike Wright
Is there a way to use font color to represent bolding?
It used to be (not sure if this was on Linux) that you had a choice of
using bold or bright to emphasise some text.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.25.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 28 21:49:45 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate: All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.

Ed Greshko
2021-05-24 22:25:08 UTC
Post by Matthew Miller
Post by Ed Greshko
Interesting.  Yes, that one works.  Although the bolding when picking size 20 seems rather slight.
But no difference with Monospace.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.
Oh, BTW, I realized there is a way to change Monospace to Bold in a terminal without having to select
the bold font in any settings.

Just adjust your $PS1 environment variable.

PS1="\e[1;1m[\u@\h \W]\$ "

for example.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.
Eddie O'Connor

https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure
George N. White III
2021-05-24 14:57:45 UTC
Post by Eddie O'Connor
Thanks you guys!!....found the files mentioned (~Legacy.Profiles)....made
the changes as recommended, and now it works.
Interesting tho'.....that something like that would be "removed"....been
using Fedora for a long time, and it was always "just
there"...hopefully?...it will come back in future releases? I mean....I
know I'm nitpicking? but when you have to stare at Terminals all day, you'd
at LEAST want it to be "easy-to-read"! Right?
At my work several people developed eye problems in the 1980's while
spending
long hours using CRT terminals. We also struggled to distinguish look-alike
characters, leading to time wasted chasing bugs. Young eyes may be able
to handle low quality displays, but we don't know if there are long-term
impacts,
and we do know that accuracy is affected. Easy to read should be a
priority.
George N. White III
stan via users
2021-05-24 15:32:12 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 11:57:45 -0300
Post by George N. White III
At my work several people developed eye problems in the 1980's while
spending
long hours using CRT terminals. We also struggled to distinguish
look-alike characters, leading to time wasted chasing bugs. Young
eyes may be able to handle low quality displays, but we don't know if
there are long-term impacts,
and we do know that accuracy is affected. Easy to read should be a
priority.
The Terminus fonts were developed with that in mind, and I find them
easy on the eyes. There are probably people who don't, but might be
worth a look.
Eddie O'Connor
2021-05-24 15:45:27 UTC
Looking this up now!.....(old age...is scary!....turning 50 this
year....and all the things I took for granted?...are starting to play
"catch-up!....sitting for long hours in a dimly lit room?...paying for that
with my eyesight....long sessions sitting in my desk chair?...paying for
that with my aching back, typing all manner of documents for hours at a
time?....paying for that with my aching finger-joints!) and that last point
made it necessary to switch from my beloved dasKeyboard, to a Red Dragon
K557, yeah...its got RGB...something I wasn't interested in....but the FEEL
of the keys!?...and the tactile touch without the massive amount of forced
needed for the dsKeyboard, make it a godsend!

EGO II
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure
stan via users
2021-05-25 14:40:34 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 11:45:27 -0400
Post by Eddie O'Connor
Looking this up now!.....(old age...is scary!....turning 50 this
year....and all the things I took for granted?...are starting to play
"catch-up!....sitting for long hours in a dimly lit room?...paying
for that with my eyesight....long sessions sitting in my desk
chair?...paying for that with my aching back, typing all manner of
documents for hours at a time?....paying for that with my aching
finger-joints!) and that last point made it necessary to switch from
my beloved dasKeyboard, to a Red Dragon K557, yeah...its got
RGB...something I wasn't interested in....but the FEEL of the
keys!?...and the tactile touch without the massive amount of forced
needed for the dsKeyboard, make it a godsend!
Yeah, the way of all flesh. I'm reminded of a sign I used to see. It
was a back country road, and there was a long, steep hill with a sharp
turn at the bottom. It was common to pick up a lot of speed
coming down the hill. Someone had placed a sign at the bottom of the
hill, just before the turn, that said, "Prepare to meet thy Lord." :-)

We're still using the venerable Mark I version of the body. At some
point we'll have enough knowledge of the system to start correcting its
design flaws (it's designed to make lots of babies early and often, not
for longevity) in Mark II. But we're not there yet, my guess is
sometime within the next century, no major upsets occurring. After
that, the sky is the limit. In five centuries, we would probably think
the 'people' (won't be homo sapiens) of that time are aliens.

You might want to look into an ergonomic keyboard, and using a
different keyboard layout. QWERTY was designed to slow down typists so
they wouldn't go too fast for the mechanical typewriters of the time and
jam them up, but it is terrible for the hands. Common alternatives are
Colemak or Dvorak. A good way to learn a new keyboard layout is to play
the old text game nethack with the keypad turned off. It then uses the
keys of the keyboard for movement and everything else. I went a step
farther and designed my own custom key mapping that fits my use case.
Approximately 80% home row, and the most frequently used keys under the
strongest fingers.

Think about some way to change your setup so you can alternate standing
and sitting. Probably not easy, easier to just go for a walk, or do
some of the restorative exercises available for viewing on the web to
counter the long fixed positions of your muscles.

Eyes, use dark themes, and if you wear glasses, get some specially made
for looking at close objects like computer screens. Optometrists will
be familiar with the requirement.

Again, these work for me, but your mileage might differ.
Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
2021-05-25 19:43:08 UTC
Hmm....never though of changing my keyboard layout. I might give that a
try...as for the walking / sitting? I'm going to have to break down and
get a standing desk, with an electric motor...so that I can alternate
between the two, I can only say thank goodness I was never "heavy" in my
youth..I've not gained much weight (due to the pandemic and being
stationary and all that) but I AM noticing the usual "belly" fat
starting to increase around my waist. Might be time for a strict
exercise regimen...thanks for the info and recommendations!!

Cheers!

EGO II
George N. White III
2021-05-26 01:31:14 UTC
Post by Eddie O'Connor
[...]
There was a hill like that within a few 100 meters of my childhood home.
A dump truck owner who knew his brakes were bad tried to navigate the
hill by staying in the lowest gear, but his driveshaft broke and he left
the road
at speed, taking off tops of some big pines before meeting his Lord.

"Growing old is horrible, but it sure beats the alternative" (John Kenneth
Galbraith). Personally, I plan to live forever or die trying.
Post by stan via users
We're still using the venerable Mark I version of the body. At some
point we'll have enough knowledge of the system to start correcting its
design flaws (it's designed to make lots of babies early and often, not
for longevity) in Mark II. But we're not there yet, my guess is
sometime within the next century, no major upsets occurring. After
that, the sky is the limit. In five centuries, we would probably think
the 'people' (won't be homo sapiens) of that time are aliens.
At work they put in doors that required you to swipe your ID to
unlatch the lock but then pull on a handle to open the door. If your
hands were full, acrobatics and juggling were needed. Mark II should
take hints from the octopus.
Post by stan via users
[...]
Good suggestions. I found sitting on an exercise ball helpful, but
you can't easily swivel around to face someone who wants to talk to your
face.
Then safety people banned them because they weren't on the list of approved
ergonomic chairs (I think there had been reports of falls), so I switched
to a
standing desk.

I never messed with keyboard layouts -- my work often involved working
on whatever keyboard was attached to a server or old laptop used as a
terminal for headless boxes and UPS's, connected to lab gear, etc. It
was bad enough dealing with differences in the locations of control and
alt keys. I did have a keyboard with a trackpad and both USB and PS2
connecters on a Y-cable that I could bring with me if I expected to be
doing
a lot of typing. Chorded keyboards might be helpful.

Things my colleagues and I found helpful:

Avoid elevators and, if you want to talk to a colleague, walk to their
office
or agree to meet and walk together. When going to meetings or the lunch
room, pick a roundabout route with stairs.

If you can't walk or bike to work, get off the bus a stop early or park
your
car at the far edge of the lot. Take time at lunch to go for a walk or
swim.
--
George N. White III