file associations for OVF files
Paolo Galtieri
2021-05-11 00:05:53 UTC
I recently ran into an issue with files with .ovf extension.  The issue
is that VMware Workstation will not import files that end in .ovf.  A
file that ends in .ovf shows up as follows of Fedora 34:

file *.ovf returns

XML 1.0 document, ASCII text

What's interesting is that if you have VirtualBox installed and then try
to open a .ovf file with VMware workstation it works because according
to the VirtualBox documentation:

Oracle VM VirtualBox creates file type associations automatically for
any OVF and OVA files on your host OS.

In fact if I run caja and click my way to the OVF file, right click on
the file and look at the properties I get:

Type: Open Virtualization Format (application/x-virtualbox-ovf)

If I don't have VirtualBox installed I get

Type: XML document (application/xml)

So who should setup the file association for .ovf files?  How do I go
about changing the association for .ovf files from XML document to
something else so that I can associate it with VMware Workstation?

Any help is appreciated.

I have reported this issue to VMware also.

Thanks,
Paolo
Do not reply to spam on the list, report it: h
Samuel Sieb
2021-05-11 00:24:33 UTC
Post by Paolo Galtieri
I recently ran into an issue with files with .ovf extension.  The issue
is that VMware Workstation will not import files that end in .ovf.  A
file *.ovf returns
XML 1.0 document, ASCII text
"file" tells you what the actual content is. In this case, I assume,
it's an XML file. The mime-type however, can also be determined by the
file extension.
Post by Paolo Galtieri
What's interesting is that if you have VirtualBox installed and then try
to open a .ovf file with VMware workstation it works because according
Oracle VM VirtualBox creates file type associations automatically for
any OVF and OVA files on your host OS.
In fact if I run caja and click my way to the OVF file, right click on
Type: Open Virtualization Format (application/x-virtualbox-ovf)
If I don't have VirtualBox installed I get
Type: XML document (application/xml)
So who should setup the file association for .ovf files?  How do I go
about changing the association for .ovf files from XML document to
something else so that I can associate it with VMware Workstation?
VMware is proprietary software and any file associations should be
managed by it. If you're installing vmware and it doesn't set up its
file extensions, then that's a problem with its packaging. Nothing to
do with Fedora.
Do not reply to spam on the list, repor